Sunday 31 August 2014

HabitRPG

So I was wandering around Hacker News today, and I came across something exactly what I was hoping to do last year!

Enter HabitRPG, a to-do list with a gamified twist. It has dailies, to-dos, habits (good and bad) and the ability to reward yourself. Basically, you have an avatar, with stats and experience points - things you'd expect in an RPG - and as you do tasks, dailies or good habits, you gain exp and money. With money, you can buy new costumes or pets for your avatar - very addictive things that are used to be so common all over the internet (NeoPets, that dragon egg signature thing on forums?). It's genius, because people who are attracted to such a feature will find themselves much more motivated.

So how does one motivate oneself to do it further? Social networking, of course. It integrates with Facebook - which is something I have to check to be sure, but if it does what I think it does with Facebook, you'll be able to see each other's progress and that usual peer pressure does the rest. It's kind of like how you brag to others about what you're doing - you're much more likely to follow through after!

You can also form parties, too, and take on various quests/challenges. In parties, you can see each other's progress (another form of peer pressure), and challenges involve giving yourself new tasks between you and your party that you share and do.

It's great! I'm definitely going to use this between bouts of Trello (They have a Trello board too for things they need doing, to boot.)

On another note, they need people to contribute! People to spread word of mouth, people to write, people to art, and people to code! For code, they use Angular JS  for both web and mobile (apparently, it makes it very easy to transfer between web and mobile codes.). They use Mongoose for the database and ExpressJS for their API server. Some things to look into, I'm sure if I want to contribute. It's a worthwhile effort, I think, and Angular is pretty big lately.

In the meantime, though, I'm going to go gain a few levels as I complete tasks. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment