Thursday 5 June 2014

Settling

What a crazy week it has been.

I flew to the States for the first time, and I arrived in Utah. After a 34 hour travel time total, most of it spent in the sky, I was picked up by the admin of our writer group. It was late at night, and there was nothing more to see except a well earned rest with his lovely parents. Then, a few days after, it was going to be a trip of a lifetime.

Out of some 20-odd number of people, 9 from our writer's group congregated in the state from all over the US and one from Canada for a camping trip. It was the first time I've met these people in person - not just voice or video over the net. There's been nothing short of miraculous adventures since we set out. I don't know what was more amazing - the beautiful sights of the red, white and sunset canyons north of Salt Lake City dotted with marvellous green forests, or the fact you spent 2 years to build a wonderful relationship with these fantastic writers that became a circle of inspiration, talent and personalities on a foundation of friendship culminating in a physical meeting.

The trip was a series of firsts - mostly those where I did things I never thought I was capable of, being surrounded by inspirational and good people that edged me to be truly myself. On the inside, I was an adventurer, a person who enjoyed hardships, trials, fascinating new experiences. And never before did that spark to its brightest before this meeting. Rock climbing, camping, spelunking, hiking, exploring, a road-trip - all in all, it was a fantastic time, and I came back from it much more inspired and motivated for more.

I grew up on the internet, and if I had to consider my web history, it's a small wonder why most of everyone I know, trust and care about are in the States.

One way or another, I want to settle here.

No comments:

Post a Comment